Wisconsin Integrative Medicine Society (WIMS)
Promoting Healthy Lifestyles to Decrease the Burden of Chronic Disease
Welcome to Wisconsin Integrative Medicine Society!
Welcome to the Wisconsin Integrative Medicine Society (WIMS)....a place for integrative and holistic medical practitioners. Founded in 2012, the mission of WIMS is to serve as Wisconsin's leading advocate for the use of integrative and holistic medicine by health care providers and practitioners.
WIMS is part of a growing movement to promote healthy lifestyles in an effort to decrease the burden of chronic disease.
To learn more about WIMS, click here. To learn about our past and future events, click here.
Integrative medicine is healing-oriented medicine that takes account of the whole person (body, mind, and spirit), including all aspects of lifestyle. It emphasizes the therapeutic relationship and makes use of all appropriate therapies, both conventional and alternative.
The principles of integrative medicine are:
- A partnership between patient and practitioner in the healing process
- Appropriate use of conventional and alternative methods to facilitate the body's innate healing response
- Consideration of all factors that influence health, wellness and disease, including mind, spirit and community as well as body
- A philosophy that neither rejects conventional medicine nor accepts alternative therapies uncritically
- Recognition that good medicine should be based in good science, be inquiry driven, and be open to new paradigms
- Use of natural, effective, less-invasive interventions whenever possible
- Use of the broader concepts of promotion of health and the prevention of illness as well as the treatment of disease
- Training of practitioners to be models of health and healing, committed to the process of self-exploration and self-development
For more information about Integrative Medicine, read our blog post HERE.
Copyright 2012 - 2013. All rights reserved.
Want to know what WIMS members are blogging about? Click here!
Click here to contact us by email!
Purchase tickets here for our Food As Medicine Conference on 11/23/13! Please specify if vegetarian luncheon is desired.